Lockdown in the CBD of Sydney and Melbourne for Christmas is expected to be lifted early next week.
A spokesperson for the Sydney Police said the lockdown will last until January 3, when the city will reopen to business.
It is believed the lockdown is part of a broader police operation, which began earlier this month to stop the spread of a coronavirus strain which has led to the coronaviral death toll in Australia to 6,902.
It follows an outbreak in Sydney’s west on November 14, when a total of 439 people were infected.
The outbreak in Melbourne’s north has since spread to the north-west, with more than 1,500 people contracting the coronivirus.
Police are urging people to stay away from areas where people are travelling or where there is a risk of contagion, and to avoid crowds and areas where there are large gatherings.
“People should stay indoors and stay safe, as they may be exposed to other travellers,” the spokesperson said.
“We urge people to get out of public places and avoid any gatherings where there could be a high risk of exposure to the virus.”
Topics:public-health,coronavirus,health,diseases-and-disorders,health-policy,federal—state-issues,government-and the-minister,sydney-2000,melbourne-3000,australiaContact Nick TaitMore stories from New South Wales